Sunday, January 18, 2009

what every boy dreams of

I've been eagerly anticipating Gabrielle's post - - detailing all her glorious home-made Christmas wonders. well, it hasn't come yet, so I have filled my restless waiting time working up this little sword and shield tutorial for you all (because I'm certain that Rachel would love to have one these swords to knit up a little cozy for, and that Amaleah & Julia, and Amelie & Immi have been begging their mamas for years now to provide them with toys for more aggressive play . . . )

This is the first year that I have involved Malachai in the process of gift making. it thrilled him. Yes, I did most of the skilled labor (oh yes, it did require skill - - great skill. stop laughing), but he was involved, and he was giddy with the secret of it all - - waiting anxiously for Josu's nap time to come so that we could work together . . . and skittish the whole two hours - - nervous that Josu would come out from his nap and find us working on his gift.

If, by chance, any of you feel the weapon-making bug bite, and have problems following the tutorial, just let me know. I'll do my best to clear it all up for you.

p.s. I craft better than I spell. I know.

The Sword:

The Shield:

4 comments:

Rachel said...

if you wanted a cozy for one of the swords, you should have just said so! i don't think i'm very creative when it comes to knitting for boys...

speaking of, how about some mittens for Josu? you know, for all the ice skating we're going to be doing!

Rachel said...

p.s. i love Selma in the background with the "baby sword"!

carol said...

My sister once made an entire outfit out of duct tape for Halloween - Awesome miniskirt style (without being icky trampy) dress or shirt/skirt and boots. Baby Selma? Would YOU like a duct tape skirt? Or better yet, would you like to see your MAMA in one? I know I would.

Naomi Smith said...

Rachel, yes please! (on the cozy too, but mostly the mittens!) stripes please!

Carol - - baby Selma is actually delighted with the duct tape dagger for now; I'll send her your way when she starts asking for the mini skirt (the awesome kind, of course, not the icky kind)