Thursday, August 27, 2009

I insist again on creating my own pattern . . . sigh.


I found this top for Selma last year on the sale rack at a local shop. I loved it a lot. I put her into it for the first time this week and knew, knew that it needed a black wool jumper to go over it. so I ran home and told Rachel all about the "whip it up nice and easy" pattern I was going to create in about, oh . . . 2 hours time.
my first mistake - - I laughed at Rachel when she said she thought I should add an extra 10 cm. to the bottom width of the skirt. I could barely squeeze my poor baby girl into that first model.

once I found a size two dress pattern on hand, I re-cut the fabric, using the pattern as a guide
and tried it on my girl
took it in a couple of inches on each side seam
decided to put in a couple of pleats in the back to allow some give (per Rachel's suggestion - - I listened to her this time)
took it in at the waist another centimeter, gradually increasing the seam to about an inch and a half down at the hemline to remove the excess drape
and (many, many steps later) hemmed it up.

it's too short.
Rachel and I have decided that I need to try it again. maybe with the blue velvet I got in LA with Catherine (dare I? I really, really like the blue velvet!)
I am pleased with the back closure. it is simple and neat, and I lo-ove the little pleats suggested by Rachel. reversible is nice - - it involved very little extra work and kept the seams looking nice and neat. I am reminded, though, how exact the two pieces need to be cut and sewn (hard for a no pin-er or measure-er like myself)
suggestions, anyone? speak now BEFORE I cut into the blue velvet!

6 comments:

Cat said...

Wow, I so envy your ability to just make patterns up. I am not that brave yet. I *love* that it's reversible, and it's perfect for her beautiful shirt!

I say do it, the blue velvet will be darling... and if you don't have enough, and need some more, just let me know ;)

PJ said...

Blue velvet sounds amazing, do it, do it!
I'd love that pattern and you've inspired me to make a little dress like that for my little red-head. But I will have to find a good pattern available here in Aus.

darcie said...

I heard you were creating in wool for Selma! So, what I see is the little jumper reversed, dark and light? and both sides are wool, the washable kind? You don't have to answer my questions-I'd say, do the blue velvet and listen to Rachel. . .

Heather Pelczar said...

Oh My goodnes!!! Are you palnning onahving any more girls? Can I jsut "borrow" those adorable clothes that you make for Selma? That is CUUUUUUTE!

Unknown said...

man, I wish I had been or am that creative with clothes for my girls...

Naomi Smith said...

Cat - I bet you could do this(any probably even better than me)

Naomi - how did I totally miss your comment? I could pass on the general measurements of this pattern for you if you would like

mom - I think it's washable because I think I washed it! :)

Heather! I have a box full of cute baby girl clothes that I have no one to pass on to :( no one here wants them!

Gab - I bet your productivity level is like ten times what mine is because you do smart things like use a pattern