Friday, April 2, 2010

in orange . . and linen

Joshua and I were in Zara the month after Malachai was born - - "pick something! pick something!" Joshua told me; and I picked out this orange linen bias cut dress. I wore it happily for a few months, and then, it just didn't fit right, so it got tucked away - - till a few months ago when I decided that I either needed to give it away or cut it up.

(hey look! - - baby Malachai!)

so it was cut.
I cut off the bottom 18 inches of the dress,
cut some bias tape and sewed it on;
threaded some elastic through it.


and then, after some extremely creative pattern piece cutting (I was short on fabric, ok?), I made up this little top from the pattern from these cute mamas; Rachel bought the pattern for us a year ago and we have been looking for just the right fabric ever since; we decided that this was it!The pattern gives an option for a dress or top, and I chose the top (right, well, I had already cut off the bottom of the dress for the skirt, so it was like the choice was made for me, you know . . . .) The bodice pattern piece seemed short so I added an extra inch . . but I really think that I should have added two; not that I really had an extra inch to add . . .

here's to making every square inch count!





6 comments:

Heather Pelczar said...

I LOVE that blouse!!!! (And you wore that dress to my wedding, I think...)
Selma is SO cute in it! :D Great job making every inch of that dress last and count for something. You ladies all amaze me with this talent and skill. If you ever have the time and inclination to spend a month at my house tot each me how to sew, I'll be up for it. just sayin'

Naomi Smith said...

oh man, heather! I would looove to teach you how to sew . . . although, really, I think that you (my sharp as a tack friend!) could teach yourself!
and . . . I had forgotten that I wore this dress to your wedding - - I think you're right!

Heather Pelczar said...

I looked at the pictures- you did. :) I love that. And, my resourceful ever-so talented and kind thinking friend, I have tried to teach myself how to sew and have always gotten so far,and then stuck. Frustratingly stuck. at the point where it just seems more worth it to me to buy the article the continue to fight with the machine. lol I will most likely get a wild hair and try again soon, at which point I will need your number.

Unknown said...

Loving it!

Naomi Smith said...

Gab - - I sent the pattern home with mom; did you get it?

Heather - - I get stuck too! call me though; seriously! I'll cheer you on and remind you how awesome you are!

darcie said...

yes, I just love the soft little pleats on the yoke and the button hole loops-I passed the pattern on to Gab, and so we shall see!